New Jersey News
High school coach accused in sex assault cover-up
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A high school's head football coach is accused of covering up inappropriate sexual behavior on campus.
Lincoln High School's coach Robert Hampton is suspended and facing criminal charges.
"He has the support of his team," parent Lavon de Hebron said.
Members of the Jersey City school's football team sat in silence at a school board meeting Thursday. The teenagers were taking a stand, protesting the suspension of their head football coach, whose sister says she's praying that the truth will prevail.
"He did the right thing, and it will come out," Robin Hampton said
Robert Hampton is accused of turning a blind eye to allegations of sexual assault.
Hudson County prosecutors allege that the coach did not report to police a female athlete's accusations of fondling against one of the school's star football players, senior wide receiver Steven Jones, who has been charged in the case.
According to prosecutors, the 15-year-old girl told investigators that she was fondled in a room at the school on July 30.
She accused Jones, and then investigators say she told Hampton.
But two months later, the allegations still had not been reported to the proper authorities.
That was until this month, when the girl and her mother went to the cops.
School officials have declined to comment and coach Hampton referred Eyewitness News to his attorney, who said, "I think he's being made a scapegoat."
Hampton's attorney says the coach met with the girl and her mother and advised the mother of her options.
He says the coach didn't go to police because he didn't have enough information.
"I think with all this going around with the Sandusky case, I think people are being ultra sensitive about all these allegations," he said.
After about 30 minutes, the football team walked out of the school board meeting without saying a word.
They're hoping their actions would speak volumes about how they feel.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, sexual assault, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos