New Jersey News
Cops to talk luring with students after more attempts
NEW MILFORD (WABC) -- Police officers will fan out across schools in northern New Jersey starting Monday to talk to students face to face about the dangers of encountering strangers.
This comes after another two reported incidents of children being approached in the area. In one case, a motorcyclist allegedly tried to lure an 8-year-old boy in Ridgewood. The second involved a 12-year-old girl in New Milford, where police are taking decisive action after the latest attempted luring in Bergen County.
Investigators say a man approached the girl on Saturday as she sat in a car in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot on River Road.
The girl ran inside the store to her mother, and the suspect ran away.
The girl told police he resembled the sketch they released after two attempted luring incidents in New Milford on Thursday.
The incidents are among nearly a dozen reported attempts in north Jersey since mid-September.
Strangers approaching children have been reported in Westwood, Maywood, Hackensack, Hawthorne, Oradell, Ridgewood, Cranford and Fairview.
In one of the most frightening cases, a man in a hoodie grabbed a 13-year-old girl behind the bleachers at a soccer filed in Hawthorne. She managed to break free and call for help.
The suspect got away, but not before sending a chill up the spines of kids and their parents.
"I was more upset cause it happened cause it really scared me a lot," young witness Alex Hodanovich said.
"He got home and he was terrified," mom Yanina Hodanovich said. "He said, 'Mom, I'm going to be sleeping in the bed with you and pop. I'm not sleeping in my bed, because I'm terrified."
Police say there have been four attempts in New Milford, and now they're trying to get "Stranger Danger" information into the curriculum.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new milford, bergen county, luring, new jersey news, anthony johnson
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow alert issued for New York City 58 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 21 min ago
- Photos: Yaphank Church Fire 24 min ago
- Firefighters battle Washington Heights building fire 32 min ago
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Staten Island buyback collects nearly 100 guns
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning 19 min ago
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness'
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia