New Jersey News
Chase of alleged carjackers ends in police-involved shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- A chase of three carjacking suspects in Newark Saturday ended with one of them being shot by police.
Police observed a black Mercedes Benz at 16th Avenue and South 10th Street that had been carjacked earlier.
Officers pursued the vehicle to the intersection of Elizabeth and Meeker Avenues where the suspect vehicle struck a marked patrol car.
The three suspects fled the car on foot, and poice say one of them had a gun.
The armed suspect was shot once in the buttocks by police and was arrested along with the other two suspects.
The firearm was recovered at the scene and the injured suspect and one of the officers involved in the motor vehicle accident are hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries.
Investigators are probing evidence from the scene and other recent crimes to determine if these suspects were involved in any other crimes in and around Newark.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos