New Jersey News
Chase of alleged carjackers ends in police-involved shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- A chase of three carjacking suspects in Newark Saturday ended with one of them being shot by police.
Police observed a black Mercedes Benz at 16th Avenue and South 10th Street that had been carjacked earlier.
Officers pursued the vehicle to the intersection of Elizabeth and Meeker Avenues where the suspect vehicle struck a marked patrol car.
The three suspects fled the car on foot, and poice say one of them had a gun.
The armed suspect was shot once in the buttocks by police and was arrested along with the other two suspects.
The firearm was recovered at the scene and the injured suspect and one of the officers involved in the motor vehicle accident are hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries.
Investigators are probing evidence from the scene and other recent crimes to determine if these suspects were involved in any other crimes in and around Newark.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 10 min ago
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 24 min ago
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 30 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
10 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos