New Jersey News
Conditions slowly improving in Hoboken, Newark
HOBOKEN -- Flood waters have mostly receded in Hoboken, yet roughly 95 percent of the city remained without power Thursday as National Guard troops delivered food and water to residents.
Mayor Dawn Zimmer said she's been in contact with federal officials who are working with PSE&G to get the power back on in the one-square-mile city, adding that it may take seven to 10 days for that to happen. But Zimmer hopes it can get done sooner.
Hurricane Sandy caused the Hudson River to flood 25 percent of the city across from Manhattan. But traffic is starting to flow there again, and residents are again riding bikes and walking dogs.
In Newark, another city hit hard by the superstorm, city workers and volunteers continued to deliver meals to seniors and others who are stuck in their buildings. Mayor Cory Booker says diapers are also being provided to residents who have run out, and the city is trying to find refrigeration and power for people who need them for medical reasons.
At least three deaths in Newark have been tied to the storm.
Booker says he's thankful for the city's Chinese restaurants and chicken shacks remaining open. He calls them "the most enduring, resilient businesses" in America.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, hoboken, hurricane sandy, new jersey news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 51 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 22 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 24 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 55 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
22 min ago