New Jersey News
Conditions slowly improving in Hoboken, Newark
HOBOKEN -- Flood waters have mostly receded in Hoboken, yet roughly 95 percent of the city remained without power Thursday as National Guard troops delivered food and water to residents.
Mayor Dawn Zimmer said she's been in contact with federal officials who are working with PSE&G to get the power back on in the one-square-mile city, adding that it may take seven to 10 days for that to happen. But Zimmer hopes it can get done sooner.
Hurricane Sandy caused the Hudson River to flood 25 percent of the city across from Manhattan. But traffic is starting to flow there again, and residents are again riding bikes and walking dogs.
In Newark, another city hit hard by the superstorm, city workers and volunteers continued to deliver meals to seniors and others who are stuck in their buildings. Mayor Cory Booker says diapers are also being provided to residents who have run out, and the city is trying to find refrigeration and power for people who need them for medical reasons.
At least three deaths in Newark have been tied to the storm.
Booker says he's thankful for the city's Chinese restaurants and chicken shacks remaining open. He calls them "the most enduring, resilient businesses" in America.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, hoboken, hurricane sandy, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 14 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
14 min ago