New Jersey News
Sisters die from generator's carbon monoxide leak
NEWARK -- Newark authorities say carbon monoxide leaking from a generator apparently caused the deaths of two sisters at a city apartment building.
The sisters, ages 18 and 19, were found in the building Wednesday night. Residents say the generator was being used in an attempt to light the building that had been without power since Superstorm Sandy hit the state.
Newark Police Director Samuel Demaio said the generator apparently was kept too close to an open window. He said that if a generator is too close to a window, the differing temperatures cause a vacuum that pulls carbon monoxide into the apartment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carbon monoxide, new jersey news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 20 min ago
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 41 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 23 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 32 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen