New Jersey News
Sisters die from generator's carbon monoxide leak
NEWARK -- Newark authorities say carbon monoxide leaking from a generator apparently caused the deaths of two sisters at a city apartment building.
The sisters, ages 18 and 19, were found in the building Wednesday night. Residents say the generator was being used in an attempt to light the building that had been without power since Superstorm Sandy hit the state.
Newark Police Director Samuel Demaio said the generator apparently was kept too close to an open window. He said that if a generator is too close to a window, the differing temperatures cause a vacuum that pulls carbon monoxide into the apartment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carbon monoxide, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 31 min ago
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 24 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act