New Jersey News
Man killed, firefighters injured in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A multi-alarm fire at a pair of apartment buildings in New Jersey early Monday afternoon killed one man and injured four firefighters.
The fire broke out just after noon at a building on Bramhall Avenue just off of Bergen Avenue in Jersey City and quickly spread to the adjacent building.
Both three-story apartment buildings were fully involved, and thick, black smoke could be seen all the way from Staten Island.
Fire Chief Darren Rivers says 80-year-old Walter Highsmith died in Monday's fire. City Spokesman Stan Eason says Highsmith lived in a first floor apartment of one of the buildings.
Four firefighters also suffered injuries. One of them suffered broken bones and collapsed lung after falling 3 stories from a ladder. Rivers says he is hospitalized in serious but stable condition. The three other firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The fire was brought under control around 2:30 p.m.
The cause is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, fire, new jersey news
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench 5 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square 35 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- Body found in lake where Conn. photographer went missing 53 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
35 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
20 min ago