New Jersey News
Man killed, firefighters injured in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A multi-alarm fire at a pair of apartment buildings in New Jersey early Monday afternoon killed one man and injured four firefighters.
The fire broke out just after noon at a building on Bramhall Avenue just off of Bergen Avenue in Jersey City and quickly spread to the adjacent building.
Both three-story apartment buildings were fully involved, and thick, black smoke could be seen all the way from Staten Island.
Fire Chief Darren Rivers says 80-year-old Walter Highsmith died in Monday's fire. City Spokesman Stan Eason says Highsmith lived in a first floor apartment of one of the buildings.
Four firefighters also suffered injuries. One of them suffered broken bones and collapsed lung after falling 3 stories from a ladder. Rivers says he is hospitalized in serious but stable condition. The three other firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The fire was brought under control around 2:30 p.m.
The cause is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, fire, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 18 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
31 min ago