New Jersey News
Man killed, firefighters injured in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A multi-alarm fire at a pair of apartment buildings in New Jersey early Monday afternoon killed one man and injured four firefighters.
The fire broke out just after noon at a building on Bramhall Avenue just off of Bergen Avenue in Jersey City and quickly spread to the adjacent building.
Both three-story apartment buildings were fully involved, and thick, black smoke could be seen all the way from Staten Island.
Fire Chief Darren Rivers says 80-year-old Walter Highsmith died in Monday's fire. City Spokesman Stan Eason says Highsmith lived in a first floor apartment of one of the buildings.
Four firefighters also suffered injuries. One of them suffered broken bones and collapsed lung after falling 3 stories from a ladder. Rivers says he is hospitalized in serious but stable condition. The three other firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The fire was brought under control around 2:30 p.m.
The cause is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, fire, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 53 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 53 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 42 min ago