New Jersey News
Love letters swept away and located after Hurricane Sandy
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- In the last few weeks since Sandy hit our area, we've seen and heard some amazing stories of heroism, coping, and community spirit.
Kathleen Mullen was lucky the only thing she only thing she lost during Hurricane Sandy was power.
What she found was remarkable.
During a stroll along the Henry Hudson Trail in the Atlantic Highlands the day after, she stumbled across a stack of letters.
"They were obviously tied with a pink ribbon, so I automatically knew they were love letters," she said.
She took them home, dried them in front of the fireplace, and under the light of the fire, began to read.
"There isn't much more to tall you tonight, dear. I love you very much. Yours always, Dotty," one said.
The letters were written between 1942 and 1947 by Dorothy Fallon of Rumson, New Jersey to her betrothed, Lynn Farnham, of Vermont.
And Kathleen wanted to get the letters back to them.
Kathleen took her search to the internet, posting on Facebook, Craigslist, and a website called findagrave.com, and that's where Dorothy and Lynn's niece found her."
"It's magical. This can't be real," said Shelly Farnham-Hilber.
Farnham-Hilber says Lynn served in WWII and was at Pearl Harbor.
The couple married and had two children. Lynn and the couple's son are now deceased, though. Dorothy resides in a nursing home and the family has lost touch with the couple's daughter.
It's not clear where the letters were stored or who had them before the storm.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 39 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache 50 min ago
- Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown, 22 min ago
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea 2 min ago
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines 4 min ago
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active' 36 min ago
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday 37 min ago
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse 39 min ago
- Lingering flood waters create commuting...
50 min ago