New Jersey News
Man killed in Newark Airport hit and run
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- The wife of a man killed in a hit and run is speaking for the first time about his brutal death.
Jeffrey Zeisler had just parked his car at Newark Airport and was on his way to catch a flight to Chicago for his first day on the job.
Zeisler never made it.
He was found dead in the parking lot.
Carol Zeisler won't forget her husband's last words to her.
"He said, 'I'll see you soon. Friday's not so far off and take care of our little girls, our three little doggies,'" Zeisler said.
Now she tries to figure out how to go on without him.
"He was the love of my life. How do you exist after that? How?" Zeisler asked.
Her husband, 61-year-old Jeff Zeisler, was hit and killed early Monday morning.
Whoever was behind the wheel of the vehicle that killed him took a piece of Carol's heart too.
"Like I'm dead. There's such an emptiness I can't even describe it," Zeisler said.
It happened in the P6 lot of Newark Airport's long term parking. Jeff was headed to training in Chicago for a new job. He was thrilled his wife says, looking forward to a new beginning after being out of work for six months.
But according to investigators, after parking his car he was hit.
The driver kept right on going.
Port Authority Police believe that was between 3:45 and 4:15 a.m.
Back at home, Carol assumed that he'd made it to Chicago.
"This is the first one, with the sad face," Zeisler described.
She sent him text messages imploring him to check in.
"This is not fair. I'm very worried," Zeisler had texted.
That was shortly before 11 a.m.
About an hour later, she'd learn that he was dead.
"I want justice for my husband," Zeisler said, "He was a decent man who did not deserve this. I'm not going to let that go."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, newark liberty international airport, hit and run accident, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday 56 min ago
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash 59 min ago
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime 9 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion 34 min ago
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case 50 min ago
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Orb trainer fights nerves at Preakness
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos