New Jersey News
Woman and teenage son killed in Bergen County house fire
RIDGEFIELD, N.J. -- Authorities say a northern New Jersey woman and her teenage son were killed when a fast-moving fire destroyed their home.
The woman's husband, an older son and that son's girlfriend were able to escape from the Ridgefield home after the fire broke out around 5 a.m. Saturday. All three were treated at a hospital for undisclosed injuries and later released.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says 55-year-old Jerlayn Scibetta and 14-year-old Daniel Scibetta died in the fire. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation, but Molinelli said it was not considered suspicious.
Firefighters from several nearby towns helped Ridgefield crews battle the blaze, which burned for several hours. A neighbor and firefighters tried to rescue the trapped occupants, but authorities say the flames spread too fast.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ridgefield, fire death, new jersey news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos