New Jersey News
Woman and teenage son killed in Bergen County house fire
RIDGEFIELD, N.J. -- Authorities say a northern New Jersey woman and her teenage son were killed when a fast-moving fire destroyed their home.
The woman's husband, an older son and that son's girlfriend were able to escape from the Ridgefield home after the fire broke out around 5 a.m. Saturday. All three were treated at a hospital for undisclosed injuries and later released.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says 55-year-old Jerlayn Scibetta and 14-year-old Daniel Scibetta died in the fire. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation, but Molinelli said it was not considered suspicious.
Firefighters from several nearby towns helped Ridgefield crews battle the blaze, which burned for several hours. A neighbor and firefighters tried to rescue the trapped occupants, but authorities say the flames spread too fast.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ridgefield, fire death, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly mall carjacking 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos