New Jersey News
South Amboy loses only supermarket after Sandy
SOUTH AMBOY (WABC) -- Rebuilding after Sandy may be an uphill battle for many, but for some it is financially impossible.
Sandy bankrupted the South Amboy Foodtown. It is not just any grocery store, it is a family-run business that treated customers like family for years.
On Sunday night, cash registers were ringing, but the signs of sadness were everywhere - especially on the empty shelves.
Foodtown is the only grocery store in South Amboy, and is the heart of the town. On Monday night, it will stop feeding the community.
In 1928, Frank Paczkowski opened Frank's Meat Market. He was so successful, he expanded to a bigger location. Decades later, his son, Ed Paczkowski took over the family grocery store, and it became Foodtown. Customers say they always sold the best meat.
What took 84 years of sweat and sacrifice was wiped out by Sandy. Without power for 11 miserable days, the store lost all of its meat, produce, dairy, frozen foods and baked goods. More than $100,000 worth of inventory was spoled.
On Sunday night, great-grandchildren helped bag, and former workers helped check out. Everything was sold at half-price to clear out what Sandy didn't destroy.
Ed Paczkowski is hoping a new grocer will eventually move in the spot and serve his customers, but lifelong Foodtown customers know it just won't be the same.
Lights officially go out Monday at 6 p.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, middlesex county, hurricane, hurricane sandy, new jersey news, lucy yang
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man dies in scuffle with police outside Bronx bodega
- Woman thrown from motorcycle, hit by cab on Belt
- 3 slashed during disupte in Morningside Heights
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos