New Jersey News
South Amboy loses only supermarket after Sandy
SOUTH AMBOY (WABC) -- Rebuilding after Sandy may be an uphill battle for many, but for some it is financially impossible.
Sandy bankrupted the South Amboy Foodtown. It is not just any grocery store, it is a family-run business that treated customers like family for years.
On Sunday night, cash registers were ringing, but the signs of sadness were everywhere - especially on the empty shelves.
Foodtown is the only grocery store in South Amboy, and is the heart of the town. On Monday night, it will stop feeding the community.
In 1928, Frank Paczkowski opened Frank's Meat Market. He was so successful, he expanded to a bigger location. Decades later, his son, Ed Paczkowski took over the family grocery store, and it became Foodtown. Customers say they always sold the best meat.
What took 84 years of sweat and sacrifice was wiped out by Sandy. Without power for 11 miserable days, the store lost all of its meat, produce, dairy, frozen foods and baked goods. More than $100,000 worth of inventory was spoled.
On Sunday night, great-grandchildren helped bag, and former workers helped check out. Everything was sold at half-price to clear out what Sandy didn't destroy.
Ed Paczkowski is hoping a new grocer will eventually move in the spot and serve his customers, but lifelong Foodtown customers know it just won't be the same.
Lights officially go out Monday at 6 p.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, middlesex county, hurricane, hurricane sandy, new jersey news, lucy yang
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 6 min ago
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 29 min ago
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 23 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas 32 min ago