New Jersey News
Fire in Lakewood leaves 1 dead, 8 others displaced
LAKEWOOD, N.J. -- Prosecutors say one man was killed and eight other people were displaced when a fast-moving fire roared through a southern New Jersey home.
But investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the blaze that destroyed the two-story home in Lakewood early Saturday.
Prosecutors tell the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/11wTVuS) that the person killed, identified only as a 41-year-old man, was found inside the home. But his cause of death has not yet been determined.
Authorities say the eight displaced residents - four children, ranging in age from 6 to 13, and four adults - were temporarily staying with friends.
Roughly 55 firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported around 12:45 a.m. It was brought under control about 90 minutes later.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, lakewood, ocean county, fire death, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 53 min ago
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite 28 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
17 min ago