New Jersey News
Mayor Cory Booker begins food stamp challenge
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark Mayor Cory Booker is prepared for a food stamp challenge.
He and one of his Twitter followers each plan to live for a week on the monetary equivalent of food stamps or less.
The mayor's week starts Tuesday. The North Carolina woman's began Sunday.
The mayor prepared for the challenge with a grocery purchase of $27.98.
Booker tweeted a picture of a receipt of the purchases he made Saturday at a Pathmark store in neighboring Irvington. The vegetarian mayor's grocery list included pink and black beans, corn and red delicious apples.
Booker declined requests Monday to be interviewed. He is using social media to provide updates.
Other city officials around the country have taken part in similar challenges, including Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter this past April.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 49 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 49 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 26 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 54 min ago
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
29 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos