New Jersey News
Hotspots persist in New Jersey fire that displaced 100
UNION CITY, New Jersey (WABC) -- Firefighters are dousing hot spots at the scene of a 3-alarm fire that has displaced dozens of residents in Union City.
Investigators are waiting for things to cool down before they start looking for what started the blaze in the four-story multi-family building on Bergenline Avenue Monday afternoon.
The building contains several apartments and has businesses on the ground floor.
Fire officials believe the blaze began on the fourth floor and was fueled by a tar roof.
The Red Cross is working to relocate about 100 residents who lost their homes.
Luckily, no injuries were reported.
The battle took place more than 40 feet in the air, and for most of Monday afternoon and evening, it looked as if the fire was winning.
Newscopter 7 captured water cannons blasting flames that were ripping through the building.
It took hours before firefighters got it under control.
"The fire got to a very advanced stage early in the day, so we're trying to figure out what happened here," North Hudson Fire Chief Frank Montagne said.
The Union City Mayor's Office is collecting donations for the displaced fire victims. To help, please contact:
3715 Palisade Ave
Union City, NJ
The Union City Building Department said there were 23 apartments in the building, as well as a supermarket and a hair salon on the ground floor.
The building was built in 1928 and is owned by 5th Street Bergenline LLC, with the same address. The building is 18,000 square feet.
Three other neighboring buildings were evacuated as a precaution.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, union city, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
15 min ago