New Jersey News
No heat for church, food kitchen in Newark after vandals
NEWARK (WABC) -- This is a tough holiday season for parishioners at a church in Newark.
Thieves looking for cooper heavily damaged the church and now there's no heat and no food at the soup kitchen that served meals to the needy.
"To talk about it, to say someone destroyed your church it's just words, to see it, no words can describe how you feel," said Loretta Hazelwood.
Twice in less than a month, Clinton Avenue Presbyterian church was broken into.
They came prepared to rip out as much copper pipe, as they could find, and they maliciously searched for metal that's going for $4 a pound at scrap yards.
All the copper gone in the kitchen and the boiler room.
You see just hints that pipes were ever there.
This was heartless, and it looks destructive, and what we're doing is creating, building. This was to tear down," said Pastor Deb Oosterbaan.
So the soup kitchen that served hot meals 4-days a week, is on hold. What's not on hold..is the faith there. Service is held in a space in the hall small enough to heat. They'll make bagged lunches to feed the hungry.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news, toni yates
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania 33 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard 27 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239...
34 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in...
33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
19 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos