New Jersey News
Booker criticized after vote at Newark City Council
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Mayor Cory Booker did again on Wednesday what he did two weeks ago, casting the vote to put his choice, Shanique Davis Speight. She's an educator now on City Council.
The last attempt turned into chaos.
Several people were pepper sprayed by police last month when they tried to block Mayor Cory Booker from appointing a replacement for outgoing Donald Payne, Jr.
The mayor claims he legally stepped in because there weren't enough members in the chamber to vote.
The mayor and the council have agreed to hold a new vote.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news, toni yates
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen