New Jersey News
Cory Booker learns harsh lesson in food stamp challenge
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark Mayor Cory Booker is learning the hard way the need to plan well when living on a food stamp diet.
On Day 2 of living on the equivalent of food stamps, Booker said on a video posted Wednesday on LinkedIn he forgot to buy caffeine products when he shopped Saturday for his weeklong challenge. So no coffee or caffeinated soda for him for seven days.
Booker says he didn't eat much the first day. He forgot to check his travel schedule and couldn't access his just-under-$30 in food purchases for the week, a few bucks under the maximum he could spend.
The mayor says he quickly learned one must plan meals really carefully on a limited budget.
He recorded the video while eating dinner, a salad with rice and beans. Breakfast Wednesday was salad with chickpeas.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 26 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 19 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Joe Torre heads to Cooperstown 4 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
26 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos