New Jersey News
911 calls released in Leonia police shooting
LEONIA, N.J. (WABC) -- Dramatic 911 calls have been released of a fatal police shooting in New Jersey.
Attorneys for the family of the man who was killed say the calls prove Rickey McFadden did not pose a threat during a robbery.
Dispatcher: He's walking?
Caller: A black male. He's holding a butter knife. He's wearing a blue shirt.
Officer: Any weapons?
Dispatcher: A knife.
Officer: A knife. He has a butter knife.
Caller: I saw the whole thing. The manager did not seem to care too much. But I saw the knife come out and he said to the guy, you think I'm playing or whatever. Your man has a gun on him right now.
Lawyers say the tape proves the manager was not in danger from McFadden when he held up a pharmacy last month in Leonia armed with a butter knife.
McFadden died when cops shot him 17 times.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, police shooting, new jersey news
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 29 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 37 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 36 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
41 min ago