New Jersey News
Ortley Beach man reports house missng after Sandy
ORTLEY BEACH, N.J. (WABC) -- So many people lost their homes in Hurricane Sandy. But one man on the Jersey Shore appears to have misplaced his.
72-year-old Nick Maria thought his home was destroyed.
Then, a few days after Sandy, he spotted his Ortley Beach house on TV.
The storm surge had pushed it right off the foundation.
But three weeks later, when residents were allowed back into the area, the house wasn't there.
Only cinder blocks remained.
So Maria reported it missing.
"I was shocked, I was stunned," Maria said. "For a few minutes I had no idea what was going on. One of the governor's assistants said to me, 'You're sure your house is gone?'. I said 'You misplace a pen or a pencil, you don't misplace a house.'"
The state told him the house was one of 26 in Ortley Beach that had to be removed after the storm to clear the street for public safety.
Maria says it's wrong that his family didn't have the chance to at least get their belongings.
He plans to rebuild.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ortley beach, hurricane sandy, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day 46 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
46 min ago