New Jersey News
Mother, 3-year-old son die in murder-suicide fire
SCOTCH PLAINS -- Authorities say a northern New Jersey mom purposely set a house fire that killed her and her young son.
Union County prosecutors initially thought 32-year-old Katherine Halverson and her 3-year-old son, Jeremy Scott McDonald, died after getting caught in the fire at their Scotch Plains home Tuesday night. But after autopsies were performed Wednesday, the deaths were ruled a murder-suicide.
Authorities say that they believe Halverson took her son to a small second-floor bedroom, where she started the fire. Both victims died of smoke inhalation, but it's not clear why Halverson killed herself and her son.
Firefighters forced their way into the home after neighbors reported seeing smoke. The fire was quickly extinguished, and the damage was confined to the second story of the duplex.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, scotch plains, fire, deadly fire, new jersey news, toni yates
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 21 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 22 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014