New Jersey News
Mother, 3-year-old son die in murder-suicide fire
SCOTCH PLAINS -- Authorities say a northern New Jersey mom purposely set a house fire that killed her and her young son.
Union County prosecutors initially thought 32-year-old Katherine Halverson and her 3-year-old son, Jeremy Scott McDonald, died after getting caught in the fire at their Scotch Plains home Tuesday night. But after autopsies were performed Wednesday, the deaths were ruled a murder-suicide.
Authorities say that they believe Halverson took her son to a small second-floor bedroom, where she started the fire. Both victims died of smoke inhalation, but it's not clear why Halverson killed herself and her son.
Firefighters forced their way into the home after neighbors reported seeing smoke. The fire was quickly extinguished, and the damage was confined to the second story of the duplex.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, scotch plains, fire, deadly fire, new jersey news, toni yates
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos