New Jersey News
Mother, 3-year-old son die in murder-suicide fire
SCOTCH PLAINS -- Authorities say a northern New Jersey mom purposely set a house fire that killed her and her young son.
Union County prosecutors initially thought 32-year-old Katherine Halverson and her 3-year-old son, Jeremy Scott McDonald, died after getting caught in the fire at their Scotch Plains home Tuesday night. But after autopsies were performed Wednesday, the deaths were ruled a murder-suicide.
Authorities say that they believe Halverson took her son to a small second-floor bedroom, where she started the fire. Both victims died of smoke inhalation, but it's not clear why Halverson killed herself and her son.
Firefighters forced their way into the home after neighbors reported seeing smoke. The fire was quickly extinguished, and the damage was confined to the second story of the duplex.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, scotch plains, fire, deadly fire, new jersey news, toni yates
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 5 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 5 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 25 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
25 min ago