New Jersey News
Heroin shaped like shoe soles seized in NJ
CLIFFSIDE PARK (WABC) -- Authorities in Cliffside Park seized 10 kilos of heroin shaped like shoe soles, worth $6 million on the street, during a impromptu bust on Thursday night.
Police arrested Julio Mendoza at a home in Nelson Avenue just days before his 35th birthday, which is December 23.
Investigators said Mendoza walked outside and was arrested with two kilos of heroin secured around his waist. The kilos were shaped like thick insoles of shoes, possibly indicating a way they may have been smuggled into the country. After obtaining a search warrant, investigators found a fully operational heroin production facility inside the house. They say they seized approximately 16 more pounds of Heroin, some in the insole-type packaging. Authorities said they also found distribution quantities of Crystal Methamphetamine and numerous items related to the processing and packaging of drugs. If broken down to individual packages, the street value of the narcotics seized is estimated to be $6,000,000. That much heroin could have generated up to 600,000 decks, or individual doses of the highly addictive drug to be sold on the streets of New Jersey and New York. Mendoza is believed to be the primary operator of that drug operation, officials said. There were no other persons in the home at the time of the arrest and search. The facility in the home could have been operated with the help of other people. "Every detective, agent and officer involved in this operation can be proud of the gift they have given to our region this holiday season. That is a lot of drugs that will never poison our residents, and the intelligence gathered will hopefully lead to further disruption of the drug trade," said Colonel Rick Fuentes, Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police.
The arrest was made by a task force of the DEA and New Jersey State Police.
Mendoza is facing numerous drug charges and was ordered held on a half-million dollars.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, cliffside park, heroin, drug bust, new jersey news
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Day Parade 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA men's basketball tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos