New Jersey News
Newark mother stabbed son, killed herself
NEWARK (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a Newark mother repeatedly stabbed her young son outside the high-rise apartment building where they lived, then apparently used the same knife to kill herself.
But it's not clear what caused the tragedy that played out over the weekend.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the 8-year-old boy was found late Saturday night outside the New Community Commons building. He was taken to a hospital, where he remained in critical condition Monday.
Murray says the body of 26-year-old Othelia Johnson was found late Sunday morning on a nearby street. An autopsy determined that Johnson died from stab wounds to the heart and left lung.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing, but it appears Johnson's wounds were self-inflicted.
The child's name was not released due to his age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, stabbing, new jersey news
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos