New Jersey News
Newark mother stabbed son, killed herself
NEWARK (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a Newark mother repeatedly stabbed her young son outside the high-rise apartment building where they lived, then apparently used the same knife to kill herself.
But it's not clear what caused the tragedy that played out over the weekend.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the 8-year-old boy was found late Saturday night outside the New Community Commons building. He was taken to a hospital, where he remained in critical condition Monday.
Murray says the body of 26-year-old Othelia Johnson was found late Sunday morning on a nearby street. An autopsy determined that Johnson died from stab wounds to the heart and left lung.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing, but it appears Johnson's wounds were self-inflicted.
The child's name was not released due to his age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, stabbing, new jersey news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 33 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 59 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos