New Jersey News
Newark mother stabbed son, killed herself
NEWARK (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a Newark mother repeatedly stabbed her young son outside the high-rise apartment building where they lived, then apparently used the same knife to kill herself.
But it's not clear what caused the tragedy that played out over the weekend.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the 8-year-old boy was found late Saturday night outside the New Community Commons building. He was taken to a hospital, where he remained in critical condition Monday.
Murray says the body of 26-year-old Othelia Johnson was found late Sunday morning on a nearby street. An autopsy determined that Johnson died from stab wounds to the heart and left lung.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing, but it appears Johnson's wounds were self-inflicted.
The child's name was not released due to his age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, stabbing, new jersey news
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 43 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease 17 min ago
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate 21 min ago
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos