New Jersey News
Newark mother stabbed son, killed herself
NEWARK (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a Newark mother repeatedly stabbed her young son outside the high-rise apartment building where they lived, then apparently used the same knife to kill herself.
But it's not clear what caused the tragedy that played out over the weekend.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the 8-year-old boy was found late Saturday night outside the New Community Commons building. He was taken to a hospital, where he remained in critical condition Monday.
Murray says the body of 26-year-old Othelia Johnson was found late Sunday morning on a nearby street. An autopsy determined that Johnson died from stab wounds to the heart and left lung.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing, but it appears Johnson's wounds were self-inflicted.
The child's name was not released due to his age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, stabbing, new jersey news
- Young child shot in foot in the Bronx 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break repaired
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 38 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 17 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 40 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 12 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
17 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
40 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos