New Jersey News
Newark store targeted by robbers on Christmas Day
NEWARK (WABC) -- A Newark cell phone store was targeted by burglars on Christmas Day at 12:30 in the afternoon. Thieves had to go through a lot of effort to get into the store, and the owner says the cops took too long to get there.
After the thief climbed in through a hole in the ceiling, he set up a ladder up against a wall. Surveillance video captures what happens next.
The thief goes straight to the cash drawer and grabs fistfuls of money. Then, he systematically cleans out the display, stealing dozens of cell phones, chargers and batteries.
Even though the alarm in the store was sounding, the thief spent 8 minutes in the store, before escaping down Springfield Avenue.
"They don't care, they know nobody's going to come," said Ben Rafeh of Boost Mobile.
Rafeh added that thieves target his cell phone store, because they know they won't be caught.
Eyewitness News interviewed Rafeh back in May after the first two break-ins. Since then, there have been three more. Each time, by the time Newark Police arrive, the thieves were long gone.
After the latest incident, Rafeh says he drove from his home in the suburbs, and still arrived before the police.
"At 12:33 in the afternoon? Eight Minutes?" Rafeh adds.
It is not just Rafeh's store that is being targeted. The grocer across the street says he has been hit twice in six months.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, robbery, new jersey news, n.j. burkett
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013