New Jersey News
Fire tears though apartment complex in North Bergen
NORTH BERGEN -- It took about 100 firefighters several hours Monday to contain a huge early-morning fire at a northern New Jersey housing complex whose residents were still recovering from damage caused by Superstorm Sandy.
Fire officials said no major injuries were reported during the blaze at the Roc Harbour complex in North Bergen.
Firefighters faced icy conditions early Monday as they tried to get water lines to the complex, which is on the waterfront directly across the Hudson River from Manhattan, North Hudson Regional Fire Deputy Chief Charles Thomas said.
Gas lines that had ruptured during the fire had been fueling the blaze until the gas company shut them off, Thomas said. The only injuries reported were minor scrapes from slips and falls, Thomas added.
Robert Merlo, a resident at the Roc Harbour complex, told firefighters that smoke was coming out of his boiler room. Merlo's description of smoke in his boiler room has investigators looking there to see if that is where it started.
Residents were still struggling to recover from Superstorm Sandy, which flooded the area when the Hudson River surged over its banks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, north bergen, fire, new jersey news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 50 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 19 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
19 min ago