New Jersey News
Fire tears though apartment complex in North Bergen
NORTH BERGEN -- It took about 100 firefighters several hours Monday to contain a huge early-morning fire at a northern New Jersey housing complex whose residents were still recovering from damage caused by Superstorm Sandy.
Fire officials said no major injuries were reported during the blaze at the Roc Harbour complex in North Bergen.
Firefighters faced icy conditions early Monday as they tried to get water lines to the complex, which is on the waterfront directly across the Hudson River from Manhattan, North Hudson Regional Fire Deputy Chief Charles Thomas said.
Gas lines that had ruptured during the fire had been fueling the blaze until the gas company shut them off, Thomas said. The only injuries reported were minor scrapes from slips and falls, Thomas added.
Robert Merlo, a resident at the Roc Harbour complex, told firefighters that smoke was coming out of his boiler room. Merlo's description of smoke in his boiler room has investigators looking there to see if that is where it started.
Residents were still struggling to recover from Superstorm Sandy, which flooded the area when the Hudson River surged over its banks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, north bergen, fire, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 1 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
58 min ago