New Jersey News
After Newtown, Marlboro schools get armed guards
MARLBORO, N.J. (WABC) -- In the wake of the Newtown shooting, one community in New Jersey is taking the added step of adding armed guards to all its schools.
Starting Wednesday, students at the high school, elementary school and middle school in the Monmouth County town of Marlboro will have armed officers on campus.
Some 8,000 students attend the schools, and officials are calling the measure a prevention method. They say it is a step that they felt they needed to take after the tragedy prompted them to revisit school safety and security.
There was already an armed guard outside the high school and another that visited the other schools, but the security will now be a permanent fixture at all three schools.
Many parents have come out in support of the move since it was announced, as did Marlboro Mayor Jonathan Hornik.
"Based on what happened in Newtown, the tragedy up there, we believe we have to revisit our entire security protocol, like many jurisdictions have to do in the country right now," he said.
Not everyone agreed with that sentiment, though.
"I understand the impulse to put guards in schools, but I think in the long run, that's not the message we want to give our kids," resident Joann Angel said. "That the only way they are safe is if people with guns, armed, follow them around...I think the problem is bigger than just putting somebody at the front door."
Officials plan to monitor the new measures to see how they work.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newtown school shooting, new jersey news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ