New Jersey News
After Newtown, Marlboro schools get armed guards
MARLBORO, N.J. (WABC) -- In the wake of the Newtown shooting, one community in New Jersey is taking the added step of adding armed guards to all its schools.
Starting Wednesday, students at the high school, elementary school and middle school in the Monmouth County town of Marlboro will have armed officers on campus.
Some 8,000 students attend the schools, and officials are calling the measure a prevention method. They say it is a step that they felt they needed to take after the tragedy prompted them to revisit school safety and security.
There was already an armed guard outside the high school and another that visited the other schools, but the security will now be a permanent fixture at all three schools.
Many parents have come out in support of the move since it was announced, as did Marlboro Mayor Jonathan Hornik.
"Based on what happened in Newtown, the tragedy up there, we believe we have to revisit our entire security protocol, like many jurisdictions have to do in the country right now," he said.
Not everyone agreed with that sentiment, though.
"I understand the impulse to put guards in schools, but I think in the long run, that's not the message we want to give our kids," resident Joann Angel said. "That the only way they are safe is if people with guns, armed, follow them around...I think the problem is bigger than just putting somebody at the front door."
Officials plan to monitor the new measures to see how they work.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newtown school shooting, new jersey news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 10 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- ObamaCare signups surpass 8 million mark 58 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 32 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos