New Jersey News
3 plead guilty in fatal beating of immigrant
SUMMIT, N.J. -- Three men have pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter in the videotaped, fatal beating of a Salvadoran immigrant in an upscale New Jersey community.
Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow says 21-year-old Nigel Dumas of Morristown, 20-year-old Khayri Williams-Clark and 19-year-old Hakean Fitzgerald, both of Summit, entered their pleas Wednesday.
Prosecutors say robbery was the motive in the July 2010 attack on Abelino Mazariego in Summit. The 47-year-old father of four died days later.
Authorities say a fourth teen, who was not charged, videotaped the attack. Police were alerted to the crime after a friend of the victim's family told them she had seen the video and they alerted police.
Fitzgerald faces 18 years in prison and both Dumas and Williams-Clark face 15 years in prison at their March 8 sentencing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, assault, immigrants, new jersey news
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- AccuWeather: More Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young child fatally shot outside Jersey City home
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole 3 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma