New Jersey News
3 plead guilty in fatal beating of immigrant
SUMMIT, N.J. -- Three men have pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter in the videotaped, fatal beating of a Salvadoran immigrant in an upscale New Jersey community.
Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow says 21-year-old Nigel Dumas of Morristown, 20-year-old Khayri Williams-Clark and 19-year-old Hakean Fitzgerald, both of Summit, entered their pleas Wednesday.
Prosecutors say robbery was the motive in the July 2010 attack on Abelino Mazariego in Summit. The 47-year-old father of four died days later.
Authorities say a fourth teen, who was not charged, videotaped the attack. Police were alerted to the crime after a friend of the victim's family told them she had seen the video and they alerted police.
Fitzgerald faces 18 years in prison and both Dumas and Williams-Clark face 15 years in prison at their March 8 sentencing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, assault, immigrants, new jersey news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos