New Jersey News
Man struck and killed by freight train in New Jersey
HAWTHORNE, N.J. (WABC) -- A man was struck and killed by a freight train early Saturday morning in Hawthorne, New Jersey.
The engineer of a New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway train told police he believed his southbound train had struck a pedestrain in the area of the Wagaraw Road trestle.
Police responding to the scene found the body of a man in his 50's lying alongside the railroad tracks.
Investigators are trying to determine the victim's identity.
He was wearing a dark colored fur-rimmed hooded coat, eyeglasses, and sneakers, and had a glass eye.
If anyone believes they know the man's identity, they are urged to call Hawthorne Police at 862-881-9640.
Authorities are not sure why the man was on the tracks.
They say he may have been a homeless person living in the area, but the investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, train accident, passaic county, new jersey news
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 46 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos