New Jersey News
Woman struck by bullet in abdomen in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A 26-year-old woman was watching TV with her husband in Jersey City on Sunday afternoon when they heard several gunshots fired.
A bullet shattered, ground floor window marks the apartment where the young mother was hit in the stomach Sunday afternoon.
"I heard like five or six gunshots then I came by the corner and I seen five or six people running up the block here on Neptune. The next thing I know a bullet went through somebody's window," said John Borowski, a neighbor.
Police now say it appears someone in a passing car opened fire on another individual on the street-who shot back.
"They have some beef with each other and they end-up shooting and innocent individual. So this is the worst type of stupid, reckless and random crime," said Jeremiah Healey, Mayor of Jersey City.
Investigators have made progress in the case.
They've been questioning one person in custody since Sunday night, they've issued an arrest warrant for a second individual and they've seized two weapons they believe were used in the shoot out.
"We're trying still now to determine the ballistics. Which one of the two weapons was responsible for the injuries to the victim," said Chief Thomas Comey, Jersey City Police Department.
In an ironic twist, Chief Thomas Comey and Mayor Jeremiah Healey answered questions about the Sunday shooting as they released the results of a weekend gun buyback operation.
164 weapons were recovered as part of Jersey City's ongoing efforts they say to keep the need for tougher gun laws in the spotlight.
"We got 164 guns. 165 and 166 crushed somebody's life. Now we want those guns," Comey said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, shooting, new jersey news, sandra bookman
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers 53 min ago
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 29 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- Photos: Robinson Cano through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos