New Jersey News
Woman struck by bullet in abdomen in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A 26-year-old woman was watching TV with her husband in Jersey City on Sunday afternoon when they heard several gunshots fired.
A bullet shattered, ground floor window marks the apartment where the young mother was hit in the stomach Sunday afternoon.
"I heard like five or six gunshots then I came by the corner and I seen five or six people running up the block here on Neptune. The next thing I know a bullet went through somebody's window," said John Borowski, a neighbor.
Police now say it appears someone in a passing car opened fire on another individual on the street-who shot back.
"They have some beef with each other and they end-up shooting and innocent individual. So this is the worst type of stupid, reckless and random crime," said Jeremiah Healey, Mayor of Jersey City.
Investigators have made progress in the case.
They've been questioning one person in custody since Sunday night, they've issued an arrest warrant for a second individual and they've seized two weapons they believe were used in the shoot out.
"We're trying still now to determine the ballistics. Which one of the two weapons was responsible for the injuries to the victim," said Chief Thomas Comey, Jersey City Police Department.
In an ironic twist, Chief Thomas Comey and Mayor Jeremiah Healey answered questions about the Sunday shooting as they released the results of a weekend gun buyback operation.
164 weapons were recovered as part of Jersey City's ongoing efforts they say to keep the need for tougher gun laws in the spotlight.
"We got 164 guns. 165 and 166 crushed somebody's life. Now we want those guns," Comey said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, shooting, new jersey news, sandra bookman
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 3 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 53 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 40 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport 45 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 45 min ago
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
3 min ago