New Jersey News
Boy denied from schools over flu shot dispute
SPRINGFIELD, N.J. (WABC) -- A 4-year-old is caught in the middle and unable to go to school all because his parents say he can't have a flu shot.
New Jersey law requires it, but the boy has an egg allergy and his parents say the shot could pose a danger.
All of this comes at a time when the flu is raging in New Jersey.
Little Jeremy Pereira was turned-away from school again Monday.
He was forced to stay home because his parents have refused to give him a flu shot.
"You have to have the shot, period, that's it," said Alyssa Pereira, Jeremy's mother.
Administrators at the Edward Watson School say New Jersey State law is clear; all children six months to five years old must be vaccinated against the flu to be eligible for licensed daycare or Pre-K.
His parents say the problem is that shortly after he was born, Jeremy was diagnosed with an egg-allergy. Eggs are a component in flu vaccine.
The law makes allowances for people with severe allergies, but the Pereira's say Jeremy's doctors want him to try the vaccine before they will issue an exemption.
"They said, 'See what happens,'" Alyssa Pereira said.
In fact, new research indicates it is probably perfectly safe.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, "Generally, egg allergic patients can safely receive. Individuals with a history of severe (life threatening) allergy to eating eggs should consult with a specialist."
For the moment, it's a risk the Pereira's are unwilling to take.
"I can't imagine doing that to my child," said Joe Pereira, Jeremy's father.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, flu vaccine, new jersey news, n.j. burkett
- Jersey City water main break repaired 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 13 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 15 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos