New Jersey News
Body pulled from New Jersey lake where teens disappeared
MOUNT OLIVE (WABC) -- Rescuers searching for two missing teens in New Jersey pulled one body out of Budd Lake just before 1 p.m. Tuesday.
A witness says screams for help came from out on the lake, which prompted the frenzied search. That man was sitting on his porch along the shore when he says he heard the calls for help. He walked out onto the partially frozen lake, towards what appeared to be a light coming from a cell phone.
He claims he heard two people saying they didn't want to die. But the voices and the light eventually disappeared.
The father of one of the missing boys, 15-year-old Clyde Schimanski III, says that, according to witnesses, his son may have died making his own rescue attempt.
"Clyde was out there, and he seen the kid go through the ice," Clyde Schimanski, Jr., said. "And Clyde went to save him on his bicycle. And then they both went in. And then people on the shore heard them screaming. He was a very good child. I'm going to miss him a lot."<p. Boats went out in the lake and helicopters flew above as the search intensified. The effort had switched from a search to a recovery mission earlier Tuesday.
"It's a terrible thing to have to deal with situations where there are families that don't know where their children are or possibly don't know what's happened to them," Mount Olive Mayor Robert Greenbaum said. "So it's troubling."
Authorities say the two victims are local residents who attend the high school.
CLICK HERE to see images from the scene ---
<center>Get Eyewitness News Delivered</center>
new jersey, morris county, missing children, new jersey news, anthony johnson
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Possible 'knockout' attack on Lower East Side
- Brooklyn school officials face discipline for not reporting...
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog 15 min ago
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors 54 min ago
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos