New Jersey News
Body pulled from New Jersey lake where teens disappeared
MOUNT OLIVE (WABC) -- Rescuers searching for two missing teens in New Jersey pulled one body out of Budd Lake just before 1 p.m. Tuesday.
A witness says screams for help came from out on the lake, which prompted the frenzied search. That man was sitting on his porch along the shore when he says he heard the calls for help. He walked out onto the partially frozen lake, towards what appeared to be a light coming from a cell phone.
He claims he heard two people saying they didn't want to die. But the voices and the light eventually disappeared.
The father of one of the missing boys, 15-year-old Clyde Schimanski III, says that, according to witnesses, his son may have died making his own rescue attempt.
"Clyde was out there, and he seen the kid go through the ice," Clyde Schimanski, Jr., said. "And Clyde went to save him on his bicycle. And then they both went in. And then people on the shore heard them screaming. He was a very good child. I'm going to miss him a lot."<p. Boats went out in the lake and helicopters flew above as the search intensified. The effort had switched from a search to a recovery mission earlier Tuesday.
"It's a terrible thing to have to deal with situations where there are families that don't know where their children are or possibly don't know what's happened to them," Mount Olive Mayor Robert Greenbaum said. "So it's troubling."
Authorities say the two victims are local residents who attend the high school.
CLICK HERE to see images from the scene ---
<center>Get Eyewitness News Delivered</center>
new jersey, morris county, missing children, new jersey news, anthony johnson
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 18 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 16 min ago
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 16 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
17 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
16 min ago