New Jersey News
Man climbs storm-ravaged Seaside roller coaster
SEASIDE HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Police have apprehended a man who apparently climbed the New Jersey roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy and unfurled an American flag.
The 38-year-old Lavallette man, identified as Christopher Angulo, paddled out to the Seaside Heights Jet Star coaster in a canoe to plant the flag. He said something about restoring what was lost to the shore.
Angulo then walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat, where he was handcuffed. He walked through the surf and was escorted to a police car on the beach.
His mother says Angulo lives at his grandmother's home in Lavallette and that he is a bit of a daredevil.
The remnants of the coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
Angulo apparently called a New Jersey radio station and said he was "putting up a flag and I might camp out here a couple days."
Angulo reportedly runs Tsunami Tree Care of Lavallette.
"I'm a local tree climber and I really missed the pier," he told the radio station. "It's like my backyard. Today, I decided to come up and put up a flag. It looks so bare without a flag. I'm going to try to stay a couple days. I have no weapons, if the police get involved. I have a pair of scissors, that's it."
Charges are pending and are likely to include trespassing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, seaside heights, hurricane sandy, new jersey news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 34 min ago
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 16 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- Dealing with bitter blast with no heat
55 min ago