New Jersey News
2nd body recovered from frozen New Jersey lake
MOUNT OLIVE (WABC) -- Searchers on Wednesday recovered the body of a second teen who disappeared below the frozen water Monday evening.
Mount Olive Mayor Robert Greenbaum tweeted late Wednesday afternoon," Thank God that we finally have closure for the second family." No other details were immediately released.
The body of one of the missing boys, 15-year-old Clyde Shimanski III, was recovered Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses say he and his friend, 14-year-old Nick Cianciotto, were riding their bikes on the lake when the ice cracked below them.
The boys' screams brought help, but rescuers were unable to locate the pair in the darkness.
Acting Morris County Prosecutor Fredric Knapp said state police dive teams used sonar to try and locate the bodies and were on the bottom the for two and a half hours Tuesday.
Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Greenbaum said the entire town is grieving with the two families.
"It's a terrible thing to have to deal with situations where there are families that don't know where their children are or possibly don't know what's happened to them," he said. "So it's troubling."
Schimanski's father, Clyde Jr., told Eywitness News that his son may have died making his own rescue attempt.
"Clyde was out there, and he seen the kid go through the ice," he said. "And Clyde went to save him on his bicycle. And then they both went in. And then people on the shore heard them screaming. He was a very good child. I'm going to miss him a lot."
CLICK HERE to see images from the scene ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, morris county, missing children, new jersey news
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 2 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97