New Jersey News
Passengers recount 'horrible' ferry accident
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- Passengers on the 4:40 p.m. ferry out of Pier 11 couldn't help but talk about Wednesday morning's accident.
Barbara Warga was happy to make it home with just bumps and bruises.
"It was horrible people were lying all over the place. There was blood everywhere. We are trying to help each other we were taking the little rubber gloves and putting ice cubes into them to help people. It was just a horrible scene," Barbara Warga, said a Red Bank resident.
The high-speed ferry was loaded with hundreds of commuters from New Jersey to Manhattan.
It slammed into a dock, injuring dozens of people and opening a large gash on the starboard side of the bow.
Passengers tell Eyewitness News it felt like a problem with the craft not the captain.
"We all just flew about in the air. I would say about six feet, I have five people on top of me. I have aches and pains," Warga said.
"It was a loud crash and everyone stopped instantly they were flying. A lot of people fell down the stairs. A lot of people got knocked down I myself flew across the boat," said Stephen Mann, a Rumson resident.
Stephen Mann says he suffered minor injuries, but that was enough to make him hesitate getting back on board to head home.
"Were you nervous getting on tonight?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Yeah, I did think about it, how you can't not, but hopefully something like this will never happen again," Mann said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ferry accident, new jersey news, carolina leid
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013