New Jersey News
Bus collides with mini school bus in New Jersey
OLD BRIDGE, New Jersey (WABC) -- An Academy bus collided with a mini school bus, which overturned, on Route 9 in Old Bridge, New Jersey.
The Academy bus veered off the roadway into the grass, coming to a stop in front of a townhouse complex. It did not overturn.
The Academy bus was a commuter bus heading towards New York City.
There were no children on the bus at the time of the accident. There were at least 16 injuries reported on the Academy bus.
"We heard the tire screeching a long screech and then we heard the impact," said witness Sean O'Bryan.
The Academy commuter bus knocked out a telephone poll, and ultimately landed into a tree after it collided with an Old Bridge school bus on Route 9 around 8 a.m. Thursday morning.
Investigators say both buses where in the bus lane, the school bus was turning right into the Stratford Apartment Complex to pick up four children bound for Schirra Elementary School, when it was struck, and flipped over onto a transformer.
"I heard a loud boom...towards the street," said Chet Singh.
The school bus and aide escaped through the rooftop hatch. But it wasn't so simple for the 42-year-old commuter bus driver, who was pinned about an hour and had to be extricated.
A spokesperson said the driver had injuries to his arms and legs that required surgery.
There were more than 30 people on board the commuter bus, which originated out of Toms River, headed to Wall Street.
Injured passengers were triaged at town hall, and taken to four different hospitals.
The driver remains in the hospital in critical condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bus accident, school bus accident, old bridge, new jersey news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 7 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 37 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
26 min ago