New Jersey News
Bus collides with mini school bus in New Jersey
OLD BRIDGE, New Jersey (WABC) -- An Academy bus collided with a mini school bus, which overturned, on Route 9 in Old Bridge, New Jersey.
The Academy bus veered off the roadway into the grass, coming to a stop in front of a townhouse complex. It did not overturn.
The Academy bus was a commuter bus heading towards New York City.
There were no children on the bus at the time of the accident. There were at least 16 injuries reported on the Academy bus.
"We heard the tire screeching a long screech and then we heard the impact," said witness Sean O'Bryan.
The Academy commuter bus knocked out a telephone poll, and ultimately landed into a tree after it collided with an Old Bridge school bus on Route 9 around 8 a.m. Thursday morning.
Investigators say both buses where in the bus lane, the school bus was turning right into the Stratford Apartment Complex to pick up four children bound for Schirra Elementary School, when it was struck, and flipped over onto a transformer.
"I heard a loud boom...towards the street," said Chet Singh.
The school bus and aide escaped through the rooftop hatch. But it wasn't so simple for the 42-year-old commuter bus driver, who was pinned about an hour and had to be extricated.
A spokesperson said the driver had injuries to his arms and legs that required surgery.
There were more than 30 people on board the commuter bus, which originated out of Toms River, headed to Wall Street.
Injured passengers were triaged at town hall, and taken to four different hospitals.
The driver remains in the hospital in critical condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bus accident, school bus accident, old bridge, new jersey news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos