New Jersey News
Working New Jersey teacher celebrates 99th birthday
NORTH PLAINFIELD (WABC) -- A teacher in North Plainfield, New Jersey, celebrated a very special birthday on Sunday.
Agnes Zhelesnik, or Granny, as her students affectionately call her, turned 99 years old.
The school held a special celebration in her honor.
And if you need proof that it's never too late in life to try something new, Granny didn't begin teaching until she was in her 80s.
She is widely regarded as the oldest working teacher in America, teaching prop building and costume making at the Sundance School.
Hundreds attended the celebration, including many of her former students. They presented her with a quilt, a cake and 99 red balloons.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review 8 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 16 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
47 min ago