New Jersey News
PATH escalator accident blamed on Hurricane Sandy
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- The wild escalator failure earlier this month at the Exchange Place PATH station is now being blamed on Superstorm Sandy.
Six people were hurt when the up escalator, packed with rush hour commuters, suddenly changed direction.
Riders went tumbling, and PATH officials now say the problem was corrosion.
The station was filled with more than 12 feet of saltwater during the storm.
The corrosion raises questions about the condition of MTA subway escalators that endured similar flooding.
A witness posted video of the incident on YouTube. Watch Alex Rodriguez' video HERE.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, path, path train, jersey city, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Video: Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area 5 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death 38 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area
5 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
10 min ago