New Jersey News
Pair charged with trapping elderly woman in car trunk
PARSIPPANY, N.J. -- Two northern New Jersey residents allegedly carjacked an elderly woman and trapped her in the trunk of her car before going on a shopping spree with her credit cards.
Morris County prosecutors say 41-year-old Joseph Defreitas and 52-year-old Marilyn Nadeau, both of East Rutherford, approached the 71-year-old New Hampshire resident at a Parsippany office building late last month.
Armed with a handgun, Defreitas allegedly forced the woman into his car, then drove her to an ATM and withdrew money from her account. He then drove the woman to another parking lot, while Nadeau followed behind him in the victim's car.
The pair then allegedly forced the woman into her trunk, but she eventually freed herself.
Nadeau and Defreitas both face numerous charges, including kidnapping, robbery and theft.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, morris county, carjacking, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 53 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
11 min ago