New Jersey News
Friends, family mourn teen who died from flu
WESTFIELD (WABC) -- Dozens of friends and classmates wept as they remembered Mark Hollaway, a friendly and outgoing high school freshman who loved his family and took pride in his school work.
The 14-year-old Hollaway died last week from the flu.
The state's Department of Health says that the Westfield High School honor student was not sick before he got the flu. In fact, he was a healthy teenager with no underlying medical conditions.
Officials also confirm he did not get a flu shot and is the third child to die from a flu-related illness this season.
His closest friends say it is hard to sit in a classroom and not see him.
"I really loved him," friend Jaris Owens said. "He was like a brother. Appreciate your friends while you have them."
Eyewitness News is told that Hollaway was an accomplished writer. At just 9 years old, he had a poem published called "Superhero," after his grandfather.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, flu, teen, teenager, new jersey news, carolina leid
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 59 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 40 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid 25 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos