New Jersey News
Friends, family mourn teen who died from flu
WESTFIELD (WABC) -- Dozens of friends and classmates wept as they remembered Mark Hollaway, a friendly and outgoing high school freshman who loved his family and took pride in his school work.
The 14-year-old Hollaway died last week from the flu.
The state's Department of Health says that the Westfield High School honor student was not sick before he got the flu. In fact, he was a healthy teenager with no underlying medical conditions.
Officials also confirm he did not get a flu shot and is the third child to die from a flu-related illness this season.
His closest friends say it is hard to sit in a classroom and not see him.
"I really loved him," friend Jaris Owens said. "He was like a brother. Appreciate your friends while you have them."
Eyewitness News is told that Hollaway was an accomplished writer. At just 9 years old, he had a poem published called "Superhero," after his grandfather.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, flu, teen, teenager, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 58 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 3 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 33 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
22 min ago