New Jersey News
Firefighters rescue 4 from burning building in Passaic
PASSAIC (WABC) -- Investigators say an overloaded electrical outlet sparked the 3-alarm fire inside an apartment buidling on Madison Street near Myrtle Avenue just before 6 a.m. on Thursday.
There were at least 6 different appliances feeding out of the same electrical cord, officials said.
Four residents were rescued by firefighters racing through a blazing three-alarm building fire in Passaic, New Jersey, early Thursday.
Flames shot out the third-floor window and quickly spread up to the fourth and down to the second.
Firefighters helped the four residents down the smoky stairways and outside. Two of the residents had to be carried.
Eight residents and four firefighters were treated for no- life threatening injuries. One of the firefighters had smoke inhalation and another had chest pains.
Residents of the building, which had about 16 apartments, were forced into the cold. At least 60 residents, or 17 families, are now temporarily homeless.
Red Cross volunteers are meeting with the displaced families at the Passaic Senior Center.
At least four apartments are destroyed and the others have smoke and water damage.
It took about an hour to get the fire under control.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, passaic, fire, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 47 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 39 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14 25 min ago
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win 16 min ago
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos