New Jersey News
Vehicle carjacked in Newark with two children inside
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- A mother was reunited with her two young children after she was forced from her SUV and it was carjacked with the kids inside.
Newark police say the woman was inside her parked vehicle at around 7:50 p.m. Thursday when she was forced out of it and a suspect sped off with her 3-year-old and 11-month-old in the back seat.
The incident began at Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street in the city's west ward.
An Essex County sheriff found the SUV a short time later with the children unharmed.
The mom was holding onto to her children tightly after the horrifying ordeal.
Police were aided in the investigation by a neighbor who didn't want to be identified, who took the terrified children into his home.
"Kids was crying," he said. "I didn't even know what was going on, but I saw kids out there, so that was my only concern was them kids."
Police are working to identify the suspect. The children were taken to University Hospital as a precaution.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carjacking, new jersey news
- Christie wants to talk with Rutgers about Hermann
- AccuWeather Forecast: Chilly Sunday
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Suspect arraigned in Charles Butler case
- Man fatally shot by police officer in New Rochelle
- Obama tours Oklahoma tornado damage 48 min ago
- Mets to honor Mariano Rivera on Tuesday
- Bethpage Air Show takes to the skies
- NYPD investigating Amanda Bynes sex assault allegations
- Roger Clemens still dogged by steroids case
- Tony Kanaan wins Indy 500
- Photos: Bethpage Air Show takes to the skies
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos