New Jersey News
Vehicle carjacked in Newark with two children inside
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- A mother was reunited with her two young children after she was forced from her SUV and it was carjacked with the kids inside.
Newark police say the woman was inside her parked vehicle at around 7:50 p.m. Thursday when she was forced out of it and a suspect sped off with her 3-year-old and 11-month-old in the back seat.
The incident began at Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street in the city's west ward.
An Essex County sheriff found the SUV a short time later with the children unharmed.
The mom was holding onto to her children tightly after the horrifying ordeal.
Police were aided in the investigation by a neighbor who didn't want to be identified, who took the terrified children into his home.
"Kids was crying," he said. "I didn't even know what was going on, but I saw kids out there, so that was my only concern was them kids."
Police are working to identify the suspect. The children were taken to University Hospital as a precaution.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carjacking, new jersey news
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines