New Jersey News
Vehicle carjacked in Newark with two children inside
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- A mother was reunited with her two young children after she was forced from her SUV and it was carjacked with the kids inside.
Newark police say the woman was inside her parked vehicle at around 7:50 p.m. Thursday when she was forced out of it and a suspect sped off with her 3-year-old and 11-month-old in the back seat.
The incident began at Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street in the city's west ward.
An Essex County sheriff found the SUV a short time later with the children unharmed.
The mom was holding onto to her children tightly after the horrifying ordeal.
Police were aided in the investigation by a neighbor who didn't want to be identified, who took the terrified children into his home.
"Kids was crying," he said. "I didn't even know what was going on, but I saw kids out there, so that was my only concern was them kids."
Police are working to identify the suspect. The children were taken to University Hospital as a precaution.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carjacking, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act