New Jersey News
7 hurt in fire at New Jersey assisted-living facility
WOODCLIFF LAKE (WABC) -- Seven people were hospitalized after a second-alarm fire spread heavy smoke through an assisted-living facility in New Jersey overnight Monday.
The small fire broke out in the dryer room of the Alzheimer's wing just before 2:30 a.m.
The seven people who were taken to area hospitals were four people who were working in the dryer room, as well as one patient and two police officers who were overcome by the thick smoke.
"They were overwhelmed by smoke," Woodcliff Lake Fire Captain Roger Caron said. "From what I understand, the visibility was very poor, and they did a fantastic job of evacuating the building and making sure everyone was safe...I know they're stable and the last I checked, they're going to be fine."
Everyone was allowed back inside the facility once the heat and power were restored.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bergen county, fire, new jersey news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos