New Jersey News
Bed Bath and Beyond stabbing victim's husband speaks
MIDDLETOWN, N.J. (WABC) -- A young mother stabbed more than a dozen times in a random attack at a Bed Bath and Beyond is home with her family.
Meanwhile, Kerri Dalton's husband revealed new details about the attack and her recovery on Monday.
"Her second call was to me, because she needed to tell me what had happened. She just said, 'I need you, I've been stabbed,' and that was the last I heard from her," said Roger Dalton, the victim's husband.
Roger Dalton said he is the luckiest man in the world. He's lucky that his 29-year-old wife Kerri is alive.
On January 17th she was attacked inside the Bed Bath and Beyond store in Middletown, New Jersey.
Police say 19-year-old Tyrik Haynes was wielding the knife, inflicting the near-deadly wounds.
"She didn't realize that she was being stabbed, because the first stab was in her neck, alright. And this animal actually took her and held her up just to make sure that she didn't fall over and stabbed her in the neck, and then continued to stab her until she fell on the ground. She was stabbed 13 times all over her body. So, I can't touch her, I can't hug her, because if I try to hug her I'm touching something," Dalton said.
Of course she shared her desperate determination to survive with the love of her life, the man who raised his first child alone. He said that as Kerri lay bleeding on the floor, she thought that Roger should not have to raise another child alone again.
"Her mother instinct kicked in. She said to herself, 'If this is it, this is the way I'm going to die,' and she kept fighting, 'I'm not dying like this,'" Dalton said.
Haynes is being held on more than a million dollars bail on numerous charges including attempted murder.
A website created by Kerri's friend has raised more than $9,000 towards her physical and emotional care and it is growing by contributions and by words of encouragement.
"It's like 300 people! I don't know 300 people. It's just amazing the outpour, it just makes us really feel good," Dalton said.
For more information please visit: helpkerridalton.org
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, middletown, stabbing, new jersey news, toni yates
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade 21 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos