New Jersey News
Vehicle stolen in Newark with child inside
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Newark Police are searching for the suspect who stole a car with a little girl inside.
The girl's mother parked the car outside an auto repair shop at 531 Central Avenue in Newark.
"She said, 'Did you see a black car? My baby, my baby,' then she fell in my arms," a witness said.
Witnesses say it was emotional torture for the mother, not knowing if she would see her child again.
"She was crying, she broke out in tears," said John Scott, a witness.
John Scott says the mom is one of his customers at Belmont Motor works on Central Avenue.
She stopped in around 7 p.m. Wednesday night.
A witness who did not want to be identified said the mother left her black Nissan Altima running with her 5-year-old daughter sleeping in the back seat.
"That's crazy how a person can just jump in a car and pull it back and drive off. But he had a conscience though. He could have put that little girl on the sidewalk and kept on going but he didn't, he left everything. Just thank God everybody is OK," the witness said.
This is the second time in a week a car was stolen in Newark with a child inside.
Last Thursday, an SUV was stolen with two children in the vehicle.
It was found about 30 minutes later with the kids safe and sound.
These incidents serve as a reminder that it only takes seconds for something like this to happen.
The suspect in Wednesday night's incident remains on the loose.
The mother and daughter were not hurt.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carjacking, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013